posted on December 06, 2016 14:22
You can give an amazing, timeless gift to your child this Christmas, simply by including a book (or two) as one of their gifts under the tree. True, it can be hard to compete with today’s shiny, loud electronics with a humble book. But adding Christian and classic books to holiday giving can become an ongoing tradition that your child looks forward to every year. Here are some quick ideas to make book-giving creative and fun, and some quick recommendations for Christian books by age level.
Ideas for Book Giving
- Books on Christmas morning can get lost in the pile of packages under the tree. In our home, we have a tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve, and that gift is always a book. This way, each child can spend time unwrapping that one special gift (not toss it aside to open another!), and maybe read themselves to sleep that special Christmas Eve.
- Make sure to include a special personal inscription on the inside cover. Your child will treasure the book for a lifetime, and maybe even hand it down to their children.
- Books make great inexpensive stocking stuffers.
- Audio books count!
- Choose book subjects related to one of your child’s favorite hobby, for example, a cookbook, lego building book, or caring for pets.
- Put together a gift package of a book, the DVD movie version of the book, and some popcorn, candy, or other fun treats. Explain to your child that you will spend some time reading the book together and then watch the movie once you’ve finished. Turn it into a special “movie night” celebration after finishing the book.
- Put together a book and the stuffed doll or animal version of that book, for example, the Madeline series of books with a Madeline doll or Curious George with a Curious George bear.
- A “Book Lovers Box” is another idea. Put one or two books, a book light, and some snacks in a box with a homemade coupon book. Each “coupon” allows your child to stay up an hour to read in bed with their new book and snacks.
Christian Book Suggestions
Primary & Lower Elementary:
- You Are Mine, If Only I Had a Green Nose, All You Ever Need and other Max Lucado picture books
- Gigi, God’s Little Princess series and Will, God’s Mighty Warrior series by Sheila Walsh
- Cul-de-Sac Kids mystery series by Beverly Lewis
- Three Cousins Detective Club series by Elspeth Campbell Murphy
- Good, Good Father by Chris Tomlin
- The Crown and Covenant series and other books by Douglas Bond
- Red Rock Mysteries series by Jerry B. Jenkins
- The Cooper Kids Adventures series by Frank Peretti
- The Lily series by Nancy Rue and Women of Faith
- Accidental Detectives series by Sigmund Brouwer
- The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis.
- Knights of Arrethtrae series by Chuck Black
- The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
- The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkein
- Soul Surfer: Catching God’s Wave for Your Life and other fiction and non-fiction by Bethany Hamilton
- Courage to Soar by Simone Biles
- A Young Woman After God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George
- Gifted Hands by Ben Carson
- Life Just God Real by Sadie Robertson
- Dragons in Our Midst series and other fiction from Bryan Davis
- Simarillion by J.R.R. Tolkein
- Shaken by Tim Tebow
- Unashamed by Lecrae
- You Have a Brain by Ben Carson
- Do Hard Things & the sequel, Start Here by Alex & Brett Harris
- You Were Made to Make a Difference by Max Lucado
- The Power of a Praying Teen by Stormie Omartian
- The Undoing of Saint Silvanus by Beth Moore
- The Third Target or any book by Joel Rosenberg